1. Christmas is almost here, what are some examples of stress people find themselves under as the holidays draw near?
2. Have you heard of holiday heart?
3. What are some ways you can avoid holiday heart?
1. Increased driving, family drama, financial stress, etc.
2. Holiday heart is a term used by medical doctors to classify patients with symptoms such as arrhythmia (abnormal heart beat) due to increased alcohol consumption, increased mental stress and higher intake of fatty foods.
3. Limit alcohol consumption, eat holiday food only on the holiday-not throughout the whole season, sleep approx. 8 hours per day, regular exercise for 20 min daily-ex walking. Holiday heart will reverse itself once your lifestyle habits return to normal.
Tonelo D, Providencia R, Goncalves L. Holiday heart syndrome revisited after 34 years. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2013 Aug. 101(2):183-9.
Ettinger PO, Wu CF, De La Cruz C, et al. Arrhythmias and the “Holiday Heart”: alcohol-associated cardiac rhythm disorders. Am Heart J. 1978 May. 95(5):555-62.