1. Which region of the spine has the biggest impact on your health?
2. Aside from smoking and asthma what is the most efficient way to decrease lung capacity?
3. True of false 7 of the top ten causes of death in America involve oxygen deficiency?
4. True or false chiropractic care can correct loss of cervical curve in 3 months
1. The cervical region (neck) has the biggest impact on your health.
The cervical region has direct influence over the heart and lungs, and has the most input to the brain.
2. Losing the curve in your neck is the most efficient way to decrease your lung capacity.
3. True. For example, heart attacks, cancer, and pneumonia involve oxygen deficiency.
4. False. Results can take longer than 3 months if the patient has had trauma such as whiplash or severe degeneration.
1. Effect of Spinal Cord Injury on the Respiratory System: Basic Research and Current Clinical Treatment Options
M. Beth Zimmer, PhD, Kwaku Nantwi, PhD, and Harry G Goshgarian, PhD
2. Rene Cailliet M.D., famous medical author and former director of the department of physical medicine and rehabilitation at the University of Southern California states:
“Head in forward posture can add up to thirty pounds of abnormal leverage on the cervical spine. This can pull the entire spine out of alignment. Forward head posture (FHP) may result in the loss of 30% of vital lung capacity. These breath-related effects are primarily due to the loss of the cervical lordosis, which blocks the action of the hyoid muscles, especially the inferior hyoid responsible for helping lift the first rib during inhalation.”
4. Evidence-based protocol for structural rehabilitation of the spine and posture: review of clinical biomechanics of posture (CBP®) publications
Paul A. Oakley, DC, MSc,* Donald D. Harrison, PhD, DC, MSE,** Deed E. Harrison, DC, and Jason W. Haas, DC